Press Release via World Skate
April 25, 2018
World Skate announces the Skateboarding qualifying system for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
Following several meetings with the IOC, World Skate has identified the definitive procedures for the skateboarders’ qualification in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The Skateboarding Qualifying System blends national and continental-level competitions with the premiere international skateboarding events around the globe to create an accessible qualifying path for every skateboarder.
This progressive system ensures the best skateboarders on the planet will have a fair opportunity to represent their countries on sport’s biggest stage at the Tokyo 2020 Games.
The key tenets of the qualifying system are:
• 20 women, 20 men for both Park and Street disciplines, 80 skaters total
• 3 skater maximum per event per National Olympic Committee (NOC)
• Skaters will be selected by name on the World Skate – Olympic World Skateboarding Rankings by earning points at World Skate-recognized competitions
• The points-earning qualification period begins 1st January, 2019 and ends 31st May, 2020
• The top-three finishers in the 2020 World Championship events will be directly qualified for the Olympic Games
Points earning events consist of:
• National Championships
• Continental Championships
• 5-Star Events
• World Skate / SLS Pro Tour Events (Street)
• World Skate Pro Tour Events (Park TBA)
• World Skate / SLS World Championships (Street)
• World Skate World Championship (Park TBA)
World Skate – President, Sabatino Aracu, said: “We are very pleased with the official IOC-approval of our Skateboarding Qualifying System. We are also extremely satisfied with the work done recently to unify the professional and organizational elements of Skateboarding: this process will open doors to riders from all over the world wanting to compete in professional circuits.
Our agreement with Street League Skateboarding for the Street Pro Tour and World Championships represents this principle in action. We look forward to announcing our partnership for Park events soon as we strive to produce and sanction events at the highest level on the road to Tokyo.”
Further information regarding specific point earning events will be published on www.worldskate.org starting from 1st July 2018